Mississippi Burning

Thursday, February 24, 2011

I feel that this movie has its good and bad points. One of the negative sides is that it is extremely slow moving. I think that it overemphasized the cruelty of the whites against the blacks, so much that it became monotonous. I found myself yawning halfway through the movie. On the other hand, I think that the movie had some very powerful scenes and I was shocked by some of the cruelty exhibited.

I think that the movie's most powerful scene was when the Ku Klux Klan hanged the black man in front of his burning house. I felt that the image symbolised the position the blacks were in. At that scene, I felt indignant for the blacks. What gave the KKK the right to take away human life? When the man's son came to save him, I felt relief, but also empathy for the blacks.

However, I did not quite understand the last part of the film. I felt that it suddenly accelerated and I was unsure of how the culprits were caught. I felt that the jail terms of the culprits were too short. They had taken away 3 youths lives and as a consequence had to spend less than a 1/5 of their lives in jail. I think that this was rather unfair.

I enjoyed the film and I think that it is definitely a worthwhile movie to watch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment