Personal Response: Childhood Memories

Sunday, February 13, 2011

What memories of your own childhood come to mind as you read about Scout's experiences?

I think that Scout's childhood was much wilder than mine, as I did not really spend much time roaming outdoors as my parents kept me on a pretty tight leash. However, I spent much time playing in the garden with my older sister. Now, looking back, the things we did seem foolish, but at the time I had a lot of fun making mud patties, catching snails, writing with mud, and even eating plants. I did not have as much imagination as Scout so my childhood looks rather bland in comparison but her antics reminded me of my carefree childhood, when I had no responsibilities and I could just play outside all day long.

2 comments:

Leonard said...

Hi Kenneth,

I did get a vague idea of your post but perhaps you can have more description of the things you did when you were young like as you mentioned "Making mud patties", etc. There was very little description on what you did. Also maybe you would compare Scout's childhood with your childhood point by point so it would be easy for the reader to interpret. Maybe you could also write more about how your childhood is bland. Lastly, you can also talk about how childhood is innocent, etc.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kenneth,

Yes, I agree with Leonard about the lack of elaboration in your posts. Other than "making mud patties, catching snails, writing with mud, and even eating plants", you could also tell the readers about different aspects of your childhood, like how you were brought up, what you were taught by your parents, and how you felt about your education. All these aspects are described in To Kill a Mockingbird, and I feel that you should add more detail to your childhood, because I as a reader cannot really describe your childhood with the skimpy details you have provided. I hope you take mine and Leonard's suggestions into consideration! :)

Cheers,
Roystan

Post a Comment