Thoughts on Euthanasia

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

In this post, I would like to voice my thoughts about euthanasia. Euthanasia is also called "mercy killing" and "physician assisted suicide". It is used to end a persons pain and suffering, for example, if the person has an incurable illness, and prefers not to suffer from it, he would use euthanasia. Euthanasia is a highly debated topic across the world, with many different points of view. Religious groups tend to be anti-euthanasia, believing that it is a sin against nature. However, an exception is Shinto, a religion based in Japan, where majority of people support euthanasia, as it is believed that it is a sin to extend life using artificial means. However, there are many pro-euthanasia arguments, which are generally pro-choice.

In my opinion, euthanasia should be allowed, but only under certain conditions. If the patient is willing, I feel that we should respect his choice. However, it becomes trickier when the patient is not of a sound mind, or in a coma. I think that ultimately it comes down to his family- wife, children, parents. I think that since they would be the people that know the patient best, they would be capable of making this decision for him. However, in Singapore, this choice is made easier with AMD's, which the patient signs his or herself, stating that they do not want to extend their life artificially. However, euthanasia is not legalised in Singapore.

I think that ultimately euthanasia comes down to the patient. I think that it is his choice whether he wants to live on or not, and who are we to tell him what to do? If it was my choice, I think that I would opt for euthanasia, if such a situation ever happened to me.

1 comments:

Glenn Ang said...

Hi Kenneth :D

Interesting topic, especially given your age ._.

Good job with the post :D You gave many examples and covered every type of euthanasia. :D

However I feel that you can explain more on why we should respect the patient's decision of opting for euthanasia, because it is after all a life and death situation, and I think it is not as easy to respect their decisions.

Then again, euthanasia is like a painkiller for those inflicted with a prolonged and painful death. So how does that weigh out?

I personally HATE this topic because I cannot face death bravely, and it always gets morbid. (And I am doing this at night) I quote Walter Breuning, the world's oldest living man who passed away on 14 April 2011.

"We're all going to die. Some people are scared of dying. Never be afraid to die. Because you're born to die" - Walter Breuning

Personally, I fear death because I have too much to lose, mainly my youth. I have yet to do and try out many things, and I find it hard to just let go of these things. I believe this applies to many others, which means that those that opt for euthanasia usually has nothing to lose, and perhaps have something to gain from it.

Patients with illnesses may die a painful death and slow death. I compare this with the Jumpers in the 9/11 bombings. These Jumpers jumped off the buildings to avoid a prolonged and painful death from fire. In a way, it is a two-way path that both lead to death, with different experiences. Same goes to euthanasia. Up till now, I am still unable to make up my mind about my thoughts on euthanasia. My mindset is that "One should die naturally." However, thinking about the pain one has to suffer due to a painful, prolonged death, I have mixed opinions.

I guess this is why it remains debatable. And the thing is, it cannot remain status quo. You can't just leave patients living in pain.

I really hate this topic. The thought of living in pain and having death as your only painkiller is just plain wrong :\

glenn

Post a Comment